Atkinsin dieetti turvallinen ja tehokas

Lääketieteen tohtori Timo Kuusela kirjoittaa blogissaan ajatuksiaan terveydestä, ravitsemuksesta ja lääketieteestä. Tämä on blogin keskusteluosio.

Valvoja: San Martino

Ksantippa

ViestiKirjoittaja Ksantippa » 18 Heinä 2008 13:18

Samaan olen kiinnitt?nyt huomiota, ett? "viralliset" puhuvat vain painon pudotuksesta, muihin lieveilmi?ihin ei haluta kiinnitt?? huomiota. Uskoisin, ett? painon pienennys pystyt??n selitt?m??n vaikka miten, mutta paremmat kolesteroliarvot runsaammalla rasvalla on jo yht?l?, mit? ei niin vain selitet?. Ei sen perusteella, mit? on torvettu ja yh? torvetaan.

Heikkil? esiintyy maanantaina kolmosen aamutelkkarissa nimenomaan t?m?n uutisen vuoksi. Ne, jotka eiv?t eilisen pikahaastattelua kympin uutisissa n?hneet, niin se oli lyhyt haastattelu, miss? Heikkil? hyvin rauhallisesti selosti muutamia tosiasioita. Ett? rasvaa on sy?ty i?t ja ajat, viljaa huomattavasti v?hemm?n aikaa. Heikkil? painotti nimenomaan parantuneita terveysmittareita, ei painon pudotusta. Taisi jopa sanoa, ett? laihduttaminen olisi unohdettava, koska niin usein laihduttavat jopa lihoavat. Ruokavalio kuntoon, niin paino putoaa kuin itsest??n. Eniten minua vieh?tti Heikkil?n rento ote. Ei ainakaan voida puhua hy?kk??vist? toisinajattelijoista :mrgreen: .
"We cannot change anything, unless we accept it." Carl Jung

Elka

ViestiKirjoittaja Elka » 18 Heinä 2008 17:19

Stabiili kirjoitti:Tutkimus on julkaistu kokonaisuudessaan t?ss?. Kannattaa perehty? kuvaan 2, josta saa heti hyv?n yleisk?sityksen tuloksista.
http://content.nejm.org/cgi/reprint/359/3/229.pdf

Low-carb-dieetti kuvataan n?in:
"The low-carbohydrate, non?restricted-calorie diet
aimed to provide 20 g of carbohydrates per day
for the 2-month induction phase and immediately
after religious holidays, with a gradual increase
to a maximum of 120 g per day to maintain the
weight loss. The intakes of total calories, protein,
and fat were not limited. However, the participants
were counseled to choose vegetarian sources of
fat and protein and to avoid trans fat. The diet
was based on the Atkins diet (see Supplementary
Appendix 2).22"

Kannattaa v?h?n laskeskellakin, samalla kun perehtyy kuvaan 2. :mrgreen: Mustajokikin viel? muistutti, ett? rasvoista saa kaksi kertaa niin paljon energiaa kuin hiilihydraateista. Taisi k?yd? niin, ett? "aimed to provide" j?i yritykseksi. Ilmankos arvot eiv?t parantuneet enemp??. Tai sitten ihan vapaaehtoisesti kituilivat ilman rajoitusta tosi alhaisilla kaloreilla.

Varpu
Viesti:

ViestiKirjoittaja Varpu » 20 Heinä 2008 19:05

Tom Venuto kommentoi tutkimusta blogissaan:

What The New ?Low Carb? Study REALLY Says
Tom Venuto

A news media feeding frenzy erupted earlier this week when a new diet study broke in the New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM) on Thursday, July 17th. Almost all the reporters got it wrong, wrong WRONG! So did most of the gloating low carb forumites and bloggers. Come to think of, almost everyone interpreted this study wrong. Some valuable insights came out of this study, but almost everyone missed them because they were too busy believing what the news said or defending their own cherished belief systems ?

-- I quickly read the full text of the research paper the day it was published. Then, I shook my head in dismay as I scanned the news headlines.

I found it amusing that the media turned this into a three ring circus, putting a misleading ?low carb versus high carb,? ?Atkins vindicated? or ?Diet wars? spin on the story. But that?s mainstream journalism for you, right? Gotta sell those papers!

Just look at some of these headlines:

?Study Tips Scales in Atkins Diets Favor: Low Carb Regimen Better Than Low Fat Diet For Weight And Cholesterol, Major Study Shows. ?

?Low-Carb and Low-Fat Diets Face Off ?

?The Never-Ending Diet Wars?

?Low Carb Beats Low Fat in Diet Duel.?

?Atkins Diet is Safe and Far More Effective Than a Low-Fat One, Study Says?

?Unrestricted Low-Carb Diet Wins Hands Down?

Some of these headlines are hilarious! I wonder if any of these reporters actually read the whole study. Geez. Is it too much trouble to read 13 pages before you write a story that will be read by millions of already confused people suffering the pain and frustration of obesity? --

Here were the study results:

There were some health improvements in cholesterol, blood pressure and other parameters in the Mediterranean and low carb group that bested the high carb group. That was the focus of many articles and discussions that appeared on the net this week. However, I?d like to focus on the weight loss aspect as I?m not a medical doctor and fat loss is the primary subject matter of this website.

All three groups lost weight. The low carb group lost 5.5 kilos, the Mediterranean group lost 4.6 kilos and the low fat group lost 3.3 kilograms?. IN TWO YEARS! Whoopee! :-)

My conclusion would be that the results were similar and that none of the diets worked very well over the long term!

Amanda Gardner of the US News and World Report Health Day was one of the few reporters who got it right:

?Diet plans produce similar results: Study finds Mediterranean and low-carb diets work just as well as low fat ones.?

Tara Parker-Pope of the New York Times also came close with her headline:

?Long term diet study suggests success is hard to come by: In a tightly controlled experiment, obese people lost an average of just 6 to 10 pounds over two years.?

Even this headline wasn?t 100% accurate. The study was HARDLY tightly controlled. Tightly controlled means metabolic ward studies where the researchers actually count and control the calorie intake.

The problem is, you can?t lock people in a hospital or research center ward for two years. So in this study, they used a food frequency questionnaire. Sure, like we believe what people report about their eating habits at restaurants and at home behind closed doors! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

?No! I swear Dr. Schwarzfuchs! I swear I didn?t eat those donuts over the weekend! I stayed on my Mediterranean diet. Honest!?

One of the most firmly established facts in dietetics research is that almost everyone underreports their food intake BADLY, sometimes by as much as 50%. I?m not saying everyone ?lies,? they just forget or don?t know. In fact, this underreporting of calorie intake is such a huge problem that it makes obesity research very difficult to do and conclusions difficult to draw from free-living studies.

Another blunder in the news reports is that this study didn?t really follow Atkins diet parameters OR even the traditional low fat diet for that matter, so it?s not an ?Atkin?s versus Ornish? showdown at all.

If you actually take the time to read the full text of the research paper it doesn?t say ANYTHING like, ?Atkins is the best after all.? That?s the spin that some of the news media cooked up (and what the Atkins foundation was hoping for).

It says, ?The diet was based on the Atkins diet.? However, the sentence right before that says, ?The participants were counseled to choose vegetarian sources of fat and protein.? Vegetarian Atkins?

The chart on page 236 says the low carb diet provided 40% of calories from carbs at 6, 12 and 24 months. If I?m reading that data properly, then the only low carb period was a brief induction phase in the very beginning.

Does that sound like Atkins? 40% carb sounds more like the Zone diet or my own Burn The Fat program to me.

The Atkins Foundation, which partially supported this study, told reporters, ?We feel vindicated.? HA! They should have paid the reporters and told the researchers they felt ripped off and they wanted a refund for misuse of their research grant!

After carefully reading the full text of this study, there are many interesting findings we could talk about, from the differences in results between men and women to the improvements in health markers. Here?s what the study really says that stood out to me. It?s what I would have talked about if the newspapers or TV stations had called me:

1. ?Mediterranean and low carb diets may be effective alternatives to low-fat diets.?

I can agree completely with that statement. All three diets created a calorie deficit. All three groups lost weight. Low carb lost a little more, which is the usual finding because low carb diets often control appetite and calorie intake automatically (you eat less even if you don?t count calories). Also, if body composition is not indicated, there?s an initial water weight loss that makes low carb diets look more effective in the very early stages.

2. ?Personal preferences and metabolic considerations might inform individualized tailoring of dietary interventions.?

Absolutely! Nutrition should be individualized based on goals, health status, body type, activity level and numerous other factors. Different people have different phenotypes. Some people are more predisposed to thrive on a low carb approach. Others feel like crap on low carbs and do better with more carbs or a middle of the road approach. Those who dogmatically follow and defend one type of diet or the other are only handcuffing themselves by limiting their options. Iris Shai, a researcher in the study said, ?We can?t rely on one diet fits all.? Hmm, far cry from ?Atkins wins hands down,? wouldn?t you say?

3. ?The rate of adherence to a study diet was 95.4% at 1 year and 84.6% at 2 years.?

THIS was the part of most interest to me. When I read this, immediately I could have cared less about the silly low carb versus high carb wars that the news reporters were jumping on.

I wanted to know WHY the subjects were able to stick with it so well. Of course, that?s boring stuff to journalists? adherence? What does that word mean anyway? Yawn - not interesting enough for prime time, I guess.

But it was interesting to me, and I hope YOU pay attention to what I found. The authors of the study wrote:

?This trial suggests a model that might be applied more broadly in the workplace. Using the employer as a health coach could be an effective way to improve health. The model of group intervention with the use of dietary group sessions, spousal support, food labels, and monthly weighing in the workplace within the framework of a health promotion campaign might yield weight reduction and long term health benefits.?

Hmmmmm, lets see:

* Dietician coaching
* Group meetings
* Motivational phone calls
* Spousal support
* Workplace monitoring (corporate health program)
* Food labels - calorie monitoring
* Weigh ins (required and monitored)

Wow, everything helpful to long term fat loss that sticks. Can you say, ACCOUNTABILITY? These factors help explain the better adherence.

By the way, the adherence rate for the low carb group was the lowest.

90.4% in low fat group
85.3% in the Mediterranean group
78% in the low carb group

Here?s the bottom line, the way I see it:

First, please, please, please learn how to find and read primary research and take the news media stories with a grain of salt. If you want to know who died, what burned down or what hurricane is coming, tune in to the news ? they do a GREAT job at that. If you want to know how to lose weight or improve your health, look up the original research papers instead of taking second hand information at face value.

Second, those who prefer a low carb approach; more power to them. Most studies, this one included, show at the very least that low carb is an option and it?s not necessarily an unhealthy one if done intelligently. I also have no qualms with someone claiming that low carb diets are slightly more effective for weight loss, especially in the short term, free living situations. Is low carb superior for fat loss in the long haul? That?s STILL highly debatable. It?s probably superior for some people, but not for others.

Third, low carb people, Listen up! Even if low carb is superior, that doesn?t mean calories don?t count. Deny this at your own peril. In fact, this study shows the reverse. The low carb group was in a larger negative energy balance than the high carb and Mediterranean group (according to the data published in this paper), which easily explains the greater weight loss. Posting the calories contained in foods in the cafeteria may have improved the results and helped with compliance in all groups.

When energy intake is matched calorie for calorie, the advantage of a low carb diet shrinks or disappears. For most people, low carb is a hunger management or calorie control weight loss advantage, not metabolic magic (sorry, no magic folks!)

Fourth, choose the nutrition program that?s most appropriate for your personal preferences, your current health condition, your genetics (or phenotype) and most important of all? the one you can stick with. Then tend your own garden instead of wasting time criticizing how the other guy is eating. Your results will speak for themselves in the end. Take your shirt off and show us.
--
If an extremely low or extremely high carb diet worked for you, great. But generalizing your experience to the entire rest of the world makes no sense. Arguing from extremes is the weakest form of argument.

--
If you have more choices, you have more power. The people who are shackled by dogma and narrow thinking are stuck. They also risk missing what?s really important.

Ksantippa

ViestiKirjoittaja Ksantippa » 20 Heinä 2008 19:48

^Toki tuossa on kiinnitetty huomiota tutkimuksen heikkoihin lenkkeihin. Samalla kun on todettu, kuinka vaikeaa t?llaista tutkimusta on toteuttaa t?ydellisesti ulkopuolella sairaalan tai tutkimuskeskuksen. Kukaan ei sellaiseen halua muuttaa kahdeksi vuodeksi, eik? kenell?k??n ole sellaisia rahoja, ett? se voitaisiin toteuttaa niin aukottomasti, kuin ylip??ns? olisi mahdollista.

Mutta onko sitten parempi olla tutkimatta lainkaan? Kaiken lukemani perusteella jo muutaman kilon pysyv? painon pudotus merkitsee ihmisen terveydelle paljon. Jos tutkittavat ihmiset olivat liev?sti ylipainoisia, niin viiden kilon pysyv? painon pudotus ei ole huono. Mun mielest?ni. Ja joku merkitys sy?dyll? ruuallakin on ollut, koska yhden ryhm?n kolesteroliarvot olivat parantuneet.

Aina voidaan tehd? asioita paremmin ja huolellisemmin ja t?hd?t? tuloksissa korkeammalle, mutta mielest?ni t?m? tutkimus on selke?sti parempi kuin ett? oltaisiin j?tetty tutkimatta. Ja mik??n ei est? Venutoa j?rjest?m?st? kolmen ryhm?n tutkimusta, jossa yksi sy? ja toimii ehdottomasti h?nen ohjeittensa perusteella, ja kaksi muuta ryhm?? joidenkin muiden ohjeiden mukaisesti. - Tied?n, tied?n, se ei ole mahdollista, mutta mua korpeaa helposti tilanteet, ett? kun joku tekee jotain, niin aina l?ytyy niit?, jotka isoon ??neen sanovat, ettei tuo tehty ole mist??n kotoisin, min? osaisin sen paremmin. :blaa:

Varpu
Viesti:

ViestiKirjoittaja Varpu » 21 Heinä 2008 9:36

En ymm?rt?nyt Venuton kritiikki? noin. Minusta h?nen kritiikkins? kohdistui siihen hypetykseen mediassa (ja foorumeilla ::loel:: ), jossa esitet??n, ett? nyt on todistettu Atkinsin paremmuus. Venuto itse edustaa mediumkarppia, ei hypet? suuntaan eik? toiseen. Mutta suhteellisen runsas hiilihydraattien osuus h?nen ruokavaliohjeistuksessaan selittyy kyll? siihen liittyv?ll? isolla liikuntam??r?ll?. BFFM-ohjelmassa treenataan tosissaan ja siis kulutetaan ne kaikki hiilarit.

Tutkimus osoitti, ett? vhh:ll? (jos siis hyv?ksyt??n 120 g vhh:ksi) saavutetaan keskim??rin hiukan parempi painonpudotus, joskaan ero ei kilogrammoissa ole merkitt?v?, JA kolesteroliarvojen paraneminen (mik? ei todellakaan ole v?h?p?t?inen juttu). Mutta siin? ei osoitettu, ett? Atkinsin ruokavalio olisi ylivoimainen laihdutusruokavalio. Ruokavalioon sitoutuminen oli heikointa vhh-ryhm?ss?, mik? ensin oli minusta aika yll?tt?v??, mutta sitten asiaa mietitty?ni ei ihmetytt?nyt lainkaan. N?keeh?n sen n?ill? keskustelufoorumeilla, jengi? tulee ja menee.

Tutkimuksen johtaja totesi loppuyhteenvedossaan, ettei ole yht? ainoaa oikeaa ruokavaliota, joka olisi paras kaikille. Se on minustakin t?rke? havainto. Tutkimus on merkitt?v?, mik?li sill? onnistutaan luomaan k?sityst? vhh:st? yhten? varteenotettavana ruokavaliovaihtoehtona. Lis?ksi siin? k?vi ilm systemaattisen ohjauksen ja (henkisen) tuen merkitys.

Ja lis?ksi: koska olemme aina niin kriittisi? huomaamaan, milloin rahoittajana on Leip?tiedotus tms. taho, kannattaa johdonmukaisuuden nimiss? huomata ett? t?m?n tutkimuksen yksi rahoittaja Venuton mukaan oli Atkins-s??ti?.

Ihan ?lyllisen rehellisyyden nimiss?.

Ksantippa

ViestiKirjoittaja Ksantippa » 21 Heinä 2008 11:11

Medialla ja foorumeilla on tapana hypett??, kun on hypetyksen paikka. Se on huomattu. ::loel::

Ymm?rr?n esitetyn kritiikin, kuitenkin olisi hyv? tarkastella t?t?kin kokonaisuutena, eik? tuijottaa detaljeihin. Niin monta kertaa olemme saaneet lukea, ettei VHH:n toimivuutta pitk?ll? aikav?lill? ole tutkittu. Nyt on. Ja jopa tutkittu niin, ett? on ollut, mihin verrata. Se, ett? 120 g hiilareita p?iv?ss? on enemm?n kuin Atkins sallii, se kuitenkin on v?hemm?n, kuin mit? esim. meid?n viralliset suosituksemme ovat. Eli suunta on oikea. Jos l?hdemme miettim??n jonkun ruokavalion sopivuutta suuremmalle ryhm?lle, niin toleranssit pakostakin venyv?t. Kuten Venutokin totesi, ei t?llaista tutkimusta voi kovin tarkasti edes tehd?, kun ihmiset kuitenkin asuvat kotioloissaan. Venuton "omaa" systeemi? - niin tehokas kuin se onkin - on suht' vaikea toteuttaa suurille ryhmille.

T?m?n tutkimuksen toteuttamisen lis?haasteena ovat olleet uskonnon sanelemat erityisehdot. Min? en niit? tunne kuin joiltakin osin, mutta lukiessani netist? l?yt?m??ni tukimusryhm?n vet?j?n ja toisen tutkijan v?list? kirjeenvaihtoa, ymm?rsin, ett? uskonto on tuonut yhdenlaiset ekstraraamit t?h?n ruokavalioon.

Yrit?n kyll? olla ?lyllisesti rehellinen ( :roll: ) tuumiessani, ett? on parempi, ett? t?m? tutkimus kaikkine puutteineen on tehty, kuin ett? olisi j?tetty tekem?tt?. Ja olen huomioinut senkin, ett? Atkins-s??ti? on yksi rahoittajista. Koska saamme lukea Leip?tiedotuksen rahoittamasta tutkimuksesta, jossa on rinnakkain nykysuositusten mukainen ruokavalio ja vhh-ruokavalio?

Ja sekin on sanottava, ett? MTV3:n t?m?n p?iv?n aamuohjelman antama huomio oli kaikkiaan vhh:lle eritt?in positiivinen. Olen varma, ett? moni ohjelman n?hty??n ihan oikeasti miettii, kannattaako asiasta ottaa enemm?n selv??. Vaikka olisinkin n?hnyt Heikkil?n mieluummin parta ajettuna (onko h?nell? koskaan parta ajettu?), niin hilpeytt? her?tti seurata nuorten naistoimittajien l?hinn? h?lmistyneit? ilmeit?, kun he kuuntelivat Heikkil??. Sin?ns? v?h?n h?lm??, ett? vaikka Heikkil? kuinka alleviivasi muiden terveysindikaattoreiden kuin laihtumisen t?rkeytt?, niin naistoimittaja totesi loppuun, "kuinka on saatu hyvi? vinkkej? kes?- ja muidenkin kilojen poistamiseen". :mrgreen: Se siit? haastateltavan kuuntelemisesta.

Varpu
Viesti:

ViestiKirjoittaja Varpu » 21 Heinä 2008 19:33

Anssi Mannisen blogista napattu selvitys siit?, mit? Atkins-ryhm? s?i:

19. hein?kuuta 2008

Mit? Atkins-ryhm? s?i?

Internetiss? porukka ihmettelee mit? em. dieettitutkimuksen Atkins-ryhm?l?iset s?iv?t, sill? er?iss? tiedotusv?lineiss? on h?pisty kasvipainoitteisesta Atkins-dieetist?. T?ss? vastaus suoraan p??kallopaikalta:

This is kind of funny that some could think of a "vegetarian low-carb"
diet. Is it a new suggested strategy? Could be interesting idea but this
wasn't the case here. Our low-carb diet was based on Atkins, the
participants read the book and the recipes were more or less comparable
to what you know in the states. Beef is the main red meat. What could be
different? People here would not mix in the same meal meat and butter, a
salad is considered a very rich one and not a lettuce based, and the
main dressing is olive oil. As for beverages, same industry that makes
money everywhere.

For example, a plate could include: fish or fried/not bread coated
chicken/or red meet, broccoli and mushrooms coated with eggs, roasted
eggplants, vegetable salad (peppers, cucumber, green leaves, not
lettuce) with olive oil dressing. I understand that some of the
low-fat people find it hard to believe that such a low-carb diet was
tremendously favorable within 2 years in a well designed study, but
these are the facts and the science of tomorrow, with the next long term
studies in the pipeline, may confirm or not these findings.

Best regards, Iris

Ksantippa

ViestiKirjoittaja Ksantippa » 21 Heinä 2008 19:38

Tuon yll?olevan l?ysin min?kin jostain netin sy?vereist?. Olisinpa ?lynnyt k?yd? A. Mannisen blogissa ;) . Kuten olen jo todennut, en tied? kuin v?h?sen kosher-ruokavaliosta, mutta miksi vihre? salaatti ei ole kuulunut ao. ruokavalioon. Jos voidaan sy?d? paprikaa, kurkkua jne, niin miksi ei salaattia. Sille varmaan l?ytyy selitys.

Varpu
Viesti:

ViestiKirjoittaja Varpu » 21 Heinä 2008 19:42

However, the participants
were counseled to choose vegetarian sources of
fat and protein and to avoid trans fat.

T?m? on joka tapauksessa suora lainaus Iriksen tekstist? tutkimustuloksissa.

Varpu
Viesti:

ViestiKirjoittaja Varpu » 21 Heinä 2008 19:51

Juutalaisten kosher-s??nn?ist?:

"Although the details of kashrut are extensive, the laws all derive from a few fairly simple, straightforward rules:

Certain animals may not be eaten at all. This restriction includes the flesh, organs, eggs and milk of the forbidden animals.

Of the animals that may be eaten, the birds and mammals must be killed in accordance with Jewish law.

All blood must be drained from the meat or broiled out of it before it is eaten.

Certain parts of permitted animals may not be eaten.

Fruits and vegetables are permitted, but must be inspected for bugs. Leafy vegetables like lettuce and herbs and flowery vegetables like broccoli and cauliflower are particularly prone to bugs and should be inspected carefully. Strawberries and raspberries can also be problematic.

Meat (the flesh of birds and mammals) cannot be eaten with dairy. Fish, eggs, fruits, vegetables and grains can be eaten with either meat or dairy. (According to some views, fish may not be eaten with meat).
Utensils that have come into contact with meat may not be used with dairy, and vice versa. Utensils that have come into contact with non-kosher food may not be used with kosher food. This applies only where the contact occurred while the food was hot.

Grape products made by non-Jews may not be eaten.

There are a few other rules that are not universal. "

Varpu
Viesti:

ViestiKirjoittaja Varpu » 21 Heinä 2008 20:05

Muutamia poimintoja tutkimuksesta:

we found that the Mediterranean and low-carbohydrate diets are effective alternatives to the low-fat diet for weight loss and appear to be just as safe as the low-fat diet. In addition to producing weight loss in this moderately obese group of participants, the low-carbohydrate and Mediterranean diets had some beneficial metabolic effects, a result suggesting that these dietary strategies might be considered
in clinical practice and that diets might be individualized according to personal preferences and metabolic needs.

The similar caloric deficit achieved in all diet groups suggests that a low-carbohydrate, non?restricted-calorie diet may be optimal for those who will not follow a restricted-calorie dietary regimen. The increasing improvement in levels of some biomarkers over time up to the
24-month point, despite the achievement of maximum weight loss by 6 months, suggests that a diet with a healthful composition has benefits beyond weight reduction.

The present study has several limitations. We enrolled few women; however, we observed a significant interaction between the effects of diet
group and sex on weight loss (women tended to lose more weight on the Mediterranean diet), and this difference between men and women was also reflected in the changes in leptin levels. This possible sex-specific difference should be explored in further studies.

The data from the few participants with diabetes are of interest, but we recognize that measurement of HOMA-IR is not an optimal method to assess insulin resistance among persons with diabetes.

We relied on self-reported dietary intake, but we validated the dietary assessment in two different dietary-assessment tools and used electronic questionnaires to minimize the amount of missing data.

Finally, one might argue that the unique nature of the workplace in this
study, which permitted a closely monitored dietary intervention for a period of 2 years, makes it difficult to generalize the results to other freeliving populations. However, we believe that similar strategies to maintain adherence could be applied elsewhere.

The strengths of the study include the onephase design, in which all participants started simultaneously; the relatively long duration of the
study; the large study-group size; and the high rate of adherence. The monthly measurements of weight permitted a better understanding of the
weight-loss trajectory than was the case in previous studies.

We observed two phases of weight change: initial weight loss and weight maintenance. The maximum weight reduction was achieved during
the first 6 months; this period was followed by the maintenance phase of partial rebound and a plateau.

Among all diet groups, weight loss was greater for those who completed the 24-month study than for those who did not.

Siisp? V?limeren dieetill? ja vhh:lla oli terveysvaikutuksia, joita v?h?rasvaisella ei ollut. Sen sijaan laihduttamisessa kaikki ryhm?t t?rm?siv?t painonpudotuksen pys?htymiseen, ja osittaiseen takaisin lihomiseen, ja kaikissa ryhmiss? painonpudotus oli suurinta sitkeill

*P*

ViestiKirjoittaja *P* » 22 Heinä 2008 7:50

Min? tulkitsin tuon salaattikohdan l?hinn? siten, ett? kulttuuriin ylip??ns? kuuluu sy?d? hieman kinnostavampaa salaattia kuin pelkki? salaatinlehti?.

Aika iso osa juutalaisista suhtautuu nyky??n Kosher- s??nt?ihin jokseenkin v?linpit?m?tt?m?sti tai noudattaa niit? ns. soveltuvin osin.

Lehtisalaattihan ei ole edes erityisen terveellist? jos vertaa vaikka kaaliin.
"Totuuden soihtua on vaikea kuljettaa tungoksessa niin, ettei jonkun parta kärvenny." - Mauri Sariola

"Besides, everytime you do partial squats, Jesus kills a kitten. Don't be a pussy, save the kittens. Squat deep."

Varpu
Viesti:

ViestiKirjoittaja Varpu » 22 Heinä 2008 9:43

En tied? noudattavatko Israelissa asuvat juutalaiset tarkemmin kosher-s??nt?j? kuin diasporajuutalaiset, mutta aivan ilmeist? on, ettei koeporukka sy?nyt esim. sianlihaa. Eli sellainen lenkkimakkaraa, voita ja metukkaa -Atkins ei ollut tuossa tutkimuksessa mukana ::loel:: .

Kielto maito- ja liharuokien sekoittamisesta vaikutti tietysti siihen, etteiv?t koehenkil?t ole paistaneet lihaansa voissa. Ruokavaliossa vaikuttaisi my?s olleen runsaasti kasviksia (mik? on ehdottomasti ihan mahdollista atkinsissa , mutta mit? eiv?t likik??n kaikki atkaajat noudata) Jne.

Eli on ilmeist?, ett? uskonnolliset rajoitukset muokkasivat koehenkil?iden Atkinsin omann?k?iseksi, mutta mink? verran se on mahdollisesti vaikuttanut tuloksiin, sit? en tietenk??n ole p?tev? arvioimaan...

Ksantippa

ViestiKirjoittaja Ksantippa » 22 Heinä 2008 9:52

Kiitos Varpulle kosher-s??nt?jen selvitt?misest?. Enp? tiennyt, ett? s??nt?j? on noin paljon :-o . Jos nyt olen oikein ymm?rt?nyt, niin jopa Israelissa tiukkaan s??nt?jen mukaan sy?vien m??r? on v?hentynyt vuosien saatossa. Mutta aivan varmasti s??nn?t ovat muokanneet ruokavaliota tiettyyn suuntaan.

Se oli se tutkimus, ja aika n?ytt?nee, saako se jatkoa ja mink?laista. Ja onko tutkimuksesta nostetta vhh:n saattamiseksi yhdeksi vaihtoehtoiseksi ruokavalioksi.

Paluu